About the job
Role purpose and overview
As acting Food Editor, you’ll be responsible for all food and drink content across the Telegraph in print and online. The commissioning remit includes (but is not limited to) recipes, restaurant reviews, wine and general drink features, daily food and hospitality news articles, and seasonal entertaining specials.
Commissioning, editing, writing and art directing are all part of the scope. The role reports to the magazine editors and weekend lifestyle editor, and works in close communication with in-house picture editors and designers, as well as freelance photography and stylist teams, to produce high-quality visuals. You will also oversee the desk’s social media channels, weekday newsletter and subscriber event programme, to ensure that the content – as well as its promotion – is always at a high standard.
The right candidate will live and breathe food and drink; they will be up to speed with the latest trends and hottest restaurants, have a keen eye on producers, cookbook authors and the wider hospitality industry, and be confident working with recipes from columnists, freelance food writers and chefs.
Please note: this is a fixed-term contract position to cover a period of parental leave.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Commissioning and editing the work of recipe, food and wine columnists, and of freelance contributors and chefs. This includes print regulars as well as on-the-day and short-lead online commissions, and larger seasonal entertaining and gift guides.
- Commissioning photography for recipe features, booking photographers, food stylists and prop stylists and providing them with visual briefs and art direction. Similarly, working with staff photographers, stylists and in-house designers to produce visuals for general food and drink features.
- Arranging cookbook extracts for serialisation.
- Liaising with art departments on layouts of pages, and with sub editors on sells and furniture.
- Proofreading online articles and liaising with online teams to perfect headlines, promotion strategies and digital extras.
- Writing the weekday Cookbook newsletter, and overseeing the social media coverage of food and drink content.
- Overseeing subscriber events (virtual cookalongs, in-person masterclasses and interviews) and helping to promote Telegraph events with editorial commissions.
- Ensuring that internal performance targets are met, and that the highest-quality content is created within budget.
- Must have proven commissioning and editing experience in this specialist field.
- Relevant experience in national publications is desirable.
- Must have an interest in and knowledge of the industry’s key players, brands, chefs, writers, food publishers, photographers and stylists.
- Experience in art direction and photography commissioning is desirable, as is a strong visual sense.
- Fluency in using a CMS is essential and a familiarity with Photoshop is welcome.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.