At Atkins, our team of ecologists works throughout the UK to deliver a diverse range of challenging and exciting projects that benefit our clients, biodiversity, and society.
We are proud to promote nature-based solutions across a range of market sectors; collaborating with clients to positively contribute to the carbon net-zero agenda and biodiversity and climate emergencies. We are particularly passionate about the implementation of biodiversity net gain on our projects and have placed ourselves at the forefront of this approach.
We positively encourage pushing boundaries, promoting innovation, knowledge sharing, and working inclusively across our diverse team. We are fully committed to promoting Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion. We want everyone to feel respected, empowered, and able to realize their full potential as important members of our team.
Flexible working is a core part of our culture at Atkins and we appreciate that different people have different priorities. We recognize that a healthy work/life balance is integral to wellbeing and we are extremely supportive of individual requirements for flexible and remote working.
To meet our growing project workload and help us design and apply new approaches to our work, we are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Assistant Ecologist to join our London and the South-East region. Locations can be flexible, we have offices in Epsom, London, and Oxford.
Joining us, you will have the opportunity to contribute to nationally significant and high-profile projects, with many of our projects winning awards for biodiversity enhancements, innovation, and knowledge sharing. Our ecology team also won the inaugural CIEEM Large-Scale Consultancy of the Year Award in 2018 and has been highly commended in the same award category each year thereafter.
Please see a link to our Atkins Ecology video We are the Ecology Team on Vimeo.
What You Will Be Doing
- Undertaking phase 1 habitat surveys and protected species surveys;
- Planning and coordinating field surveys, analyzing and interpreting survey results;
- Working with design teams and planning and co-ordinating ecological mitigation works;
- Undertaking to report including Preliminary Ecological Assessments and Ecological Impact Assessments;
- Leading on small projects and managing project budgets across different sectors; and
- Collaborating with our multi-disciplinary teams within the region.
- Ideally, you would have the following qualifications and/or attributes:
- A degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM);
- An interest or experience in new approaches such as biodiversity net gain or natural capital is particularly desirable;
- Good working knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements, and best practice survey techniques;
- Be capable of undertaking a range of surveys and reporting for Preliminary Ecological Appraisal and Ecological Impact Assessment;
- Experience of working on live road and rail;
- Great crested newt survey license would be beneficial;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- A full valid UK/EEC driving license.
What We Offer
- Part-time and/or flexible hours contracts.
- Paid overtime and/or TOIL system.
- Competitive salaries and a huge range of other benefits.
- 25 days annual leave, plus paid bank holidays, plus the ability to buy up to 15 extra days!
- Paid professional memberships and individual training budgets.
- Paid for individual I-phone and use of team I-pad’s for work purposes.
- Tailored training and mentoring schemes to advance your career.
- And so much more…
Our team is proud to promote nature-based solutions across a range of market sectors; collaborating with clients to positively contribute to the carbon net-zero agenda and biodiversity and climate emergencies. We are particularly passionate about the implementation of biodiversity net gain on our projects and have placed ourselves at the forefront of this approach. We positively encourage pushing boundaries, promoting innovation, knowledge sharing, and ensure staff has time allocated to get involved in our technical network and innovations.
Atkins is committed to promoting Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion. We have a commitment to identify and recruit from the most diverse talent pool and develop new and improved ways to sponsor talent from underrepresented groups. We have a range of Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion network groups encouraging an inclusive workplace where all employees can flourish, including Embrace (supporting minority ethnicities), Enable (supporting visible and invisible disabilities) Equilibrium (for LGBT+ colleagues), Menopause at Work, Neurodiversity (for variations in learning, attention and other mental functions), Parente, and Empower (providing professional support by and for women).
Here at Atkins, well-being is at the forefront of everything we do. We recognize that there is more to life than work and that making time for other things is crucial for health and happiness. Therefore, if working from home, working part-time, or having flexible start and finish times will help with this, we are more than happy to discuss individual requirements (and to keep these requirements flexible going forward). We utilize a paid overtime and TOIL system, which also helps individuals to make time for the things that are important to them and prevents staff burnout during the busy season.” Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed forces, and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process which is regularly reviewed. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with CIEEM, IEMA, CIWEM, or others, we support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions, this includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards And Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance program offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social club providing activities such as wine tasting, surf trips, and a kids’ Christmas party. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt into a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions, etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
“This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at the interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognizes that there are many well-qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full-time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures, and ability.”