Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
Under routine direction, the Consular, Passports and Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing a high level of customer service to clients, and ensuring an effective transfer of information between relevant internal and external stakeholders of the Consular Section.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to routine enquiries and refer complex questions/issues to the relevant section within the Post.
- Provide consular and passport advice to Australian citizens.
- Monitor and manage the Visitor Management System (VMS).
- Liaise with key stakeholder (attached agencies, government departments, etc.) as required.
- Update consular and passport information as directed, including associated fee and public holiday notices and assist in maintaining the local contacts database.
- Maintain post’s telephone and intranet directories, internal telephone list and telephone cards.
- Maintain Post’s automated external defibrillator & consular refreshment packs.
- Distribute daily mails, faxes and newspapers.
- Arrange the procurement and delivery of stationery and office consumables, and replenish the stocks, as required.
- Translate general correspondence between Vietnamese to English languages and vice versa as required.
- Assist with logistical and administrative support for consular and passport activities.
- Experience providing customer service is highly desirable.
- Previous switchboard experience would be an advantage.
- High level verbal and written communication skills in English and Vietnamese languages.
- Ability to interpret and understand complex guidelines and policies and translate them into easy to-understand information for clients.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain high standards of client service.
- Ability to prioritize workloads and achieve accurate and timely results.
- High level of organization and time management.
- Ability to operate IT systems including office switchboard, databases and other office software programs.