About the job
The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age are looking for a Creative Digital Designer skilled in cutting-edge web technologies and keen to use them to help tell stories that matter.
This is a chance to join an award-winning team of designers and coders embedded in one of Australia’s dynamic and influential news organisations. As a member of the Presentation team, you’ll design data-visualisations, experimental storytelling formats and new and exciting tools for gathering and presenting news.
The role offers variety and challenge, working within a supportive environment with an emphasis on learning and experimentation. The team needs someone who is proficient with modern web technologies and has a keen interest in news. There is real potential to define this role in line with your passions, interests and skills.
We are looking for someone from Sydney or Melbourne!
- Experience or enthusiastic interest in working in a newsroom, helping Australia’s best-read journalists cover stories of national importance through design.
- Experience with working in a multidisciplinary team alongside developers and content creators to produce visual stories.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as a digital designer. Candidates with less experience but proven potential and interest can apply. That said, this is not a graduate role.
- Advanced digital design skill set, working with tools such as Figma/Sketch, illustrator and photoshop.
- Ability to think in terms of HTML/CSS. Ideally with hands on, practical skills.
- The ability to innovative and bring a visual perspective to problem solving.
Those are the essentials, but there are a huge number of ways this role could be shaped to fit the right candidate. If you’re experienced or interested in one or more of the following, we want to hear about it:
- Experience with writing HTML/CSS.
- Data journalism is definitely part of what we do, so having no fear of a spreadsheet is a huge advantage.
- Familiarity with mapping software (QGis)
- 3D modelling and animation
- News junkies very favourably looked upon
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
At Nine, we are committed to fostering a workforce that embraces all aspects of diversity and inclusion and where practices are equitable to ensure our people experience a sense of belonging. From day one, you’ll be encouraged to bring your whole self to work and will be supported to perform at your best. Should you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, and of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Disclaimer: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes