Qualcomm Project: Machine learning-based bio-signal actuated sensor mesh for dexterous prosthesis control system
Vulcan Augmetics is a startup based in Vietnam that specialized in augmented technologies with the vision to uplift and enhance the quality of life of its users. Vulcan Augmetics strives to create an ecosystem of products that will eventually enable users to look at loss as an inconvenience rather than a misfortune. We envision the motto of “building people”.
One of our first commercialized products is an upper limb below-elbow (transradial) prosthesis. The current control interface is button-based and though this control interface has low latency, robust and flat learning curve for new users, the long-term vision demands a more generalized and customized approach towards the human-machine interface.
Through the collaboration between Vulcan Augmetics and Qualcomm, we strive to leverage our control system and interaction between users and our products, such that the experience is intuitive and robust for short-term and long-term causes.
The proposed system is a machine learning-based control system that reads users’ bio-signals and infers the correct motor motions in mind with precision and accuracy. The system will also be embedded with Vulcan Augmetics’ dedicated user mobile application for customization and control enhancement, providing a means of calibration and rapid support.
As an electrical engineer in this project, you will carry out research in an interdisciplinary manner, including but not limited to:
- Researching and working with bio-signals, building and implementing ADC/DAC/data acquisition for bio-signals.
- Processing and analyzing biodata and constructing data inferences, prediction models, and learning pipelines.
- Human-in-the-loop design thinking process.
- Control system and embedded system design and implementation.
- Cross-platform implementation.
- Control optimization, performance optimization, and benchmarking.
- A degree in the field of electrical engineering, computer science or software engineering, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Data analysis and processing capability, inference, and statistical analysis.
- Experience with working in robotic projects for a minimal duration of 6 months.
- Digital signal processing and analysis: hardware and software.
- Experience with different hardware communication protocols: I2C, SPI, USART, UART; Experience with hardware debugging.
- Experience with Linux and multithreading systems.
- Experience with sensors, motor controllers, and different types of motors in robotic systems.
- Proficient with embedded systems, real-time systems, and control systems.
- Proficient with reinforcement learning, supervised learning, unsupervised learning, transfer learning.
- Proficient with bio-signal, digital signal processing for embedded systems; Experience with EEG and/or ECG/EMG. FFT/DFT
- Experience with Flutter and Firebase.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: Negotiable
- Working hours: 40 hrs/week
- A highly challenging environment with diversified tasks and direct ownership
- Massive scope and room for innovation, skills development, and leadership growth
- Team parties, team building activities, and in-house training/sharing from industry experts are held every month
We believe that every person that comes working at Vulcan needs to grow and learn by putting their experience and training in direct practice in professional applications. This opportunity is the chance to become part of Vulcan ecosystem of skills and have a deep impact on future product functionalities.
If you’re interested in joining Vulcan force, please attach your CV and portfolio, github and/or other repositories.
Learn more about Vulcan Augmetics at: