Entrepreneur First – Programme Associate Berlin
Everyone at Entrepreneur First believes it really matters what the world’s most talented people choose to do with their lives. As the world’s leading talent investor, we’ve pioneered a new model of company creation backed by renowned investors – from Reid Hoffman (LinkedIn) and Demis Hassabis (Google’s Deepmind) to Taavet Hinrikus (Wise). Since 2011, more than 2,000 individuals have joined our programmes in London, Singapore, Berlin, Paris, Bangalore and Toronto. To date, they’ve created more than 300 companies worth more than $3 billion – companies like Magic Pony Technology (AI, acquired by Twitter), Represent (social commerce, acquired by CustomInk), BloomsburyAI (acquired by Facebook), Tractable (AI), OpenCosmos (space).
We launched our Berlin operations in 2018 and have since invested in more than 25 German startups, which include Deepspin – manufacturing the first truly low-cost MRI machine, Donut – making crypto investments as easy as possible, or Alcemy – reducing 33% of the CO2 footprint of the building material concrete.
You will be part of the team that delivers the two key parts of EF Berlin’s Programme; Form and Launch.
The form begins with making decisions about which individuals to invest in and invite to EF. We then focus on enabling the selected individuals on the programme (cohort members) to find the right co-founder and to develop and refine an ambitious idea.
Teams join Launch if we decide to invest in their company. Over a further three months, founders work with our dedicated advisors to accelerate their growth. The culmination is a region-wide Demo Day, where teams present their companies to hundreds of the world’s best investors. This is followed by several weeks of fundraising office hours, where we bring investors into our HQ, with the goal of raising a seed round that puts our companies on the path to scale.
As a Programme Associate, you will work closely with the Talent and Admissions teams, and seek to catalyse their work.
What You’ll Do
You and the Programme team have the following responsibilities:
Talent And Admissions
As a Programme Associate, you won’t just be involved in company building, but in identifying and selecting the world’s most talented and ambitious future founders. We make offers to a very select number of these outlier individuals. Each offer represents the opportunity to start a technology company, and for the individual to use their ambition to have a lasting, powerful impact. You will:
- Represent EF at talks and conferences with some of Berlin’s most prestigious academic and entrepreneurial institutions
- Represent EF in 1:1 interactions with outlier individuals including industry experts, top technologists and academics
- Reviewing applications and running interviews to make decisions about which individuals to invest in and invite onto the EF Programme
Every offer made to join the programme represents an opportunity for that individual to build a company that transforms an industry or creates a new one from scratch. Every offer holder has a huge opportunity cost associated with their time. You will:
- Design the process and build the relationships which ensure that every offer made is accepted. Offer holders will have competing offers from institutions like WHU, TUM, McKinsey & Company, Facebook et al.
Team Building – Crack The Code For Founding Teams
The form is a unique opportunity designed to fast-track the process of finding a co-founder. As a Programme Associate, you will have a huge influence over the quality and quantity of teams that are built during Form. Your mission is to build as many strong teams as possible. You will:
- Actively manage team breakups and formation, using EF frameworks and data
- Where necessary, develop EF’s team building and ideation frameworks
At the end of Form, teams pitch to the Investment Committee to receive funding and join Launch, the second part of the programme. It is highly competitive and we don’t fund every team. As a Programme Associate, you will have a huge influence over the quality and quantity of the companies put forward to the Investment Committee.
You and the Programme team will prepare teams to build a narrative and answer basic investor questions, on topics ranging from problem-solution to go-to-market to business model. Many of their answers will purely be hypotheses (because they are so early stage!) but it’s important these hypotheses are robust.
Once funded, you will be the key account manager for teams going through Launch. You will support operations and cohort experience. Operations include our pre-seed investment process at the start of the Launch, scheduling check-ins between teams and advisors throughout the programme and connecting teams to the investors and people in our community they need to succeed.
In order to deliver the above, you will need to excel in Operations.
As a Programme Associate, operational excellence is fundamental to your work. You will play a key role in ensuring that the operations on the Programme are built for scale and resilience. As well as ensuring the day to day operations of the programme are executed flawlessly, you will maintain and build systems and processes which make the outcomes of the Programme team’s work predictable, repeatable and replicable in other EF locations.
What You’ll Need
- You have a degree from a top university and +2 years of relevant work experience ideally in a high paced and performance environment
- You are an expert problem solver. You seek to find lean and creative solutions to the problems that you chose to tackle. You adapt to changes in priorities and embrace ambiguity. You display a willingness to change your ideas or perceptions based on new information or contrary evidence
- You are an exceptionally strong communicator
- you communicate clearly and with structure – both written and verbal. You are happy to deliver talks and workshops to audiences of 50-100 people
- You have outstanding organisational skills
- you handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively, delegating tasks to efficiently and continually move projects forward. You seek out ways to make implementation and modification of business processes as smooth as possible
- You build best practice and have an interest in sharing that best practice with your international colleagues
- You have an interest and understanding of early-stage investment principles
- You have an interest and understanding of frontier technology companies and trends
Training and Development
Your experience will be invaluable, but nowhere are startups built the way they are built at EF. We will teach you the method we have taken 10 years to create.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary and a share of the fund’s “carry” – any profit the fund returns
- A buzzing space full of technical founders creating globally impactful businesses
- Collaboration with a growth-minded, diverse team in Europe, Asia and Canada
- Generous holidays: in addition to 23 days holiday, we also close the office down for two weeks over Christmas and New Year
- A Learning & Development allowance to purchase any product or service that will contribute to your personal or professional development
- A Wellness allowance to spend on things enhancing your health and wellbeing, e.g. gym membership, yoga classes, Vitality, subscription to Headspace etc
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay, plus broader leave policies. We care about our team and enabling the right balance between home and working life
EF champions diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment in which a variety of backgrounds thrive. We do not tolerate discrimination of any nature including but not limited to discriminating on the basis of race, colour, religion, culture, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual preference, age, disability, or marital status.