Tilcon Connecticut, Inc. Company Location
Job Description Summary
We are seeking a qualified, safety-minded, highly motivated individual to work as an intern who will gain an overall understanding of the major divisions of Tilcon Connecticut Inc. so that the intern can eventually be considered for a full-time position within Tilcon Connecticut Inc. or CRH. The selected candidate will be involved with and learn about various aspects of Tilcon Connecticut Inc. including, but not limited to:
- Support the safety goals and processes of the company
- MSHA and OSHA training and regulations
- Fundamentals of Fatality Elimination and Risk Assessment
- Other company policies
Operations – Asphalt, Aggregates, Ready Mix, & Equipment
- Spend time at our aggregates, asphalt, and ready-mix plants to learn the fundamentals of production
- Understand how to estimate and plan plant production requirements
- Learn asphalt and ready mix plant scheduling process to meet customer and internal demands and minimize capacity conflicts.
- Understand compliance requirements for our operations to meet federal and state regulations including MSHA and OSHA etc.
- Equipment preventative maintenance, scheduling, and shop operation
- Quality Control/Quality Assurance-Asphalt, Aggregates, Ready Mix
- Gain an understanding of the QC/QA process and material testing procedures at Tilcon for aggregates, asphalt, ready mix concrete, and construction
- Learn the material specification requirements our products are required to meet
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the bidding and execution of construction. This includes project estimating/bidding, pre-construction meetings, in–house safety meetings, OJY’s, subcontractor compliance, planning and scheduling, tracking, and traffic control requirements.
- Spend time in field operations for heavy construction, reclaim, fine grade, and paving
- Understand how the crew and scheduling efficiency is instrumental to achieve project goals
- Learn how we manage contract backlog and the importance of long term planning
- Understand project profitability (revenue/costs)
Commercial – Asphalt, Aggregates, Ready Mix
- Learn the fundamentals of material pricing for asphalt, aggregates, and ready-mix to towns, contractors, and CONNDOT.
- Spend time at a scale location
- Learn to derive quantities from plans and how to accurately price products
- Managing customer issues
- Accounts Receivable
- Build relationships with key stakeholders at Tilcon Connecticut Inc.
- Show a commitment to be visible and active in operations with your fellow employees
- Learn how to identify and resolve the safety, personnel, and equipment/operational problems, in a timely and effective manner
In addition to learning these aspects, the selected candidate may be required to perform general laboring duties. This position will be based in Connecticut but travel may be required throughout the State depending on the location of our jobs.
Personal Protective Equipment
Employees are required to wear personal protective equipment in designated operations and construction areas as outlined by OSHA, MSHA, and state agencies. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position: hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, and reinforced toed shoes for any work in the field.
The ideal candidate must be currently enrolled in a college degree program and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 or better.
may require long hours, night work, travel/overnights, and/or weekend work throughout the season. The selected candidate must display a courteous and professional attitude when dealing with co-workers and the public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is required to sit, walk and stand for periods of time. The employee is required to use a computer for extended periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust to focus.
Continuous: stand, walk
Frequently: bend, squat, reach, drive, fine motor, repetitive motion, left, right
Occasionally: knell, climb, sit
This position requires an employee to lift:
Frequently: 0-10 lbs.
Occasionally: 10-25 lbs.; 25-50 lbs.
Not Applicable: 50-100 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Continuous: working with others
Frequently: hot Weather
Occasionally: Cold weather, wet weather, exposed to noise, exposed to high heat, moving equipment
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What CRH Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs