Australian Department of Home Affairs
About the Department of Home Affairs (HA)
The Department of Home Affairs is a central policy agency, providing coordinated strategy and
policy leadership for Australia’s national and transport security, federal law enforcement, criminal
justice, cyber security, border, immigration, multicultural affairs, emergency management and trade
Immigration Programs Division delivers the permanent migration and temporary visa programs to
maximise the long–term economic and social benefits to Australia across the Skilled, Family and
Resident Return visa programs, and through Temporary entry to support tourism, education and
About the position
Under general supervision and within established legislation, policies and procedures, Visa &
Citizenship Assessment Officers are responsible for assessing and making decisions regarding
Australian temporary and permanent visa applications, including conducting client interviews
and performing case integrity investigations.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
• Undertake visa related casework (assess, investigate, decide), applying the relevant
legislation and policy to make lawful and fair decisions in accordance with the relevant
guidelines and regulations.
• Conduct client interviews and perform case integrity investigations.
• Undertake moderately complex written tasks, including the preparation of visa decision
records and client correspondence.
• Identify and escalate complex or sensitive cases to senior staff according to office
• Provide interpretation and translation services to Australia–based staff in relation to
immigration matters and engagement with government agencies.
• Under close direction, liaise with external stakeholders and undertake representation
activities at official functions and other forums.
• Undertake a range of client contact duties in Vietnamese and English, including responding
to client enquiries in person, by telephone and in writing.
• Handle accountable documents, client information, and personal identifiers.
• Contribute to section work plans and operational objectives, supporting the management of
resources as required, and initiate work practice improvements as necessary.
• Provide a range of administrative support, maintain records and use information stored on
• Previous work experience in an application processing or office environment.
• Experience assessing information and making decisions.
• Ability to respond and adapt to change. Ability to apply initiative, flexibility and
willingness to pursue continued improvement in the context of change within the
• Highly developed time management skills, both individually and as part of a team, and the
ability to work effectively, cooperatively and flexibly in a team environment to respond to
priorities and meet deadlines;
• Fluent written and oral English and Vietnamese communication skills are essential.
• Proficiency in computer software applications, including Microsoft Word and Excel, and
the capacity to learn new systems.
• Tertiary qualifications